By Dr. James A. Perkins
1. Be Sure You Pay Attention To The One You Love. To love someone more, practice being attentive by listening with your eyes, ears, and heart. When these 3 become your habit, then the one you love senses you care. But when any one of these practices are neglected, the other feels as if your love isn’t as sincere.
2. Be Sure You Speak Complimentary Words To The One You Love. How easy for our communication to become more negative than positive. So to love someone more includes being kind to them and using complimentary words. Author Victor Hugo understood this best, when he wrote the line. “A compliment is something like a kiss through a veil.” Now that sounds romantic, doesn’t it.
3. Be Sure You Serve As An Encourager To The One You Love. All of us want someone to encourage us, for uplifting words feel like a refreshing breeze to the heart. So to love someone more, be lavish with your encouragements. And keep this in mind: “Kind words are like honey – sweet to the soul and healthy for the body.” (Proverbs 16:24, NLT)
4. Be Sure You Keep On Forgiving The One You Love. Any relationship will include moments when hurtful attitudes, comments, or actions occur that hinder our desire to be forgiving and loving. So to love someone more, keep in mind the fact that love, “does not take into account a wrong suffered” (1 Corinthians 13:5). To love someone more means you are quick to forgive the one you love.
5. Be Sure You Demonstrate To The One You Love That Your Love Keeps On Keeping On. Jesus loves perfectly, and the rest of us fall short. Yet the amazing fact is we can love like Christ, when we allow Him to love through us. So to love someone more means being committed through thick and thin to love them no matter what comes. Why? Because, “love never fails” (1 Corinthians 13:8). Only as Jesus loves through us by faith can we really love someone more.